Fancy an easy one pot chicken meal? This recipe by HIF foodie Helen from Scrummy Lane, combines sweet potatoes, fresh green beans, garlic, spinach, and tender chicken all marinated in a delicious sweet maple orange sauce, topped with crunchy pecan nuts.
2 small or 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped into small chunks
8 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
a handful of green beans (about 3.5 ounces / 100 grams)
1 pound / 500 grams skinless boneless chicken thighs
zest and juice of 1 orange
3 tablespooons maple syrup
salt and pepper
2 large handfuls fresh baby spinach
1 handful pecan nuts
- fresh crusty bread, or rice
- Preheat the oven to 355F / 180C.
- Add the sweet potato, garlic and green beans to a medium baking dish.
- Tuck the chicken between the vegetables.
- Whisk the zest and orange juice with the maple syrup. Drizzle the whole dish with a little cooking oil (about a tablespoon), then pour the juice / syrup over the chicken.
- Grind over plenty of salt and pepper, then bake for 35 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Ten minutes before the end of the cooking time, add the spinach, tucking it down into the sauce as much as possible, and sprinkle over the pecans.
- Serve with the bread or rice.